31 December 2010

Moving

So I write this as I am killing time waiting to leave for the airport. This is the last night in my parents home. Ever. (At least, this is likely.) It is likely my last night living in British Columbia. I may visit again, but realistically, I must face the fact that I may be currently spending my final night living in the province I grew up in--the province I love.

It is strange considering this. This has been my home, the place where my heart has resided. Until this evening I have had a key for this house on my key ring since before I ever moved away. And now it is gone (given, appropriately, to my brother-in-law who was lacking a key). Right now, if I were not tired and on the tail end of tipsy, I would be as I was earlier: very anxious and afraid, scared to consider cutting myself off from this anchor to life and reality. And yet I'm entering into the great unknown, this thing I have long sought for. Perhaps it is only right to fear that which is good for us. Or perhaps it is this deep-set acedia within me, which despises my current place, whatever that may be. But this is where I am, and this is what I am doing. Tomorrow we will be in Toronto, and then in ten days we will be on another continent altogether. This is what we have longed for, and now, by the grace of God, we are there.

No comments: